Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sinister


3 STARS



So, there are some creepy horror movies made these days after all. I know we have all been disappointed with the state of the horror movie lately.  Even the awesome stereotypes of the past are being taken past their prime, way way back.  Then, of course, there are the remakes.  In the near future, there are remakes planned for The Evil Dead, Poltergeist, Carrie (which just released its trailer), Childs Play, Texas Chainsaw (yes, another one and this time in 3D), and so on and so forth.  In my opinion, there have been some good ones: The Amityville Horror (a remake I did enjoy), Paranormal Activity (1-3), Insidious, The Strangers.  I have to say I am looking forward to Carrie with -two great actresses starring in it:  Chloe Grace-Moretz and the always enchanting Julianne Moore.

Sinister stars Ethan Hawke as true crime writer Ellison Oswalt who had a bit of fame 10 years prior with a best selling book and is looking for his next great work.  Ellison likes to completely immerse himself into the stories he writes, often moving his family to the town where the particular crime occurred.   To investigate the disappearance of a young girl after the rest of her family is brutally murdered, Ellison moves his family to the town where the crime took place.  The girl's disappearance is one of the biggest unsolved crimes where and when Sinister takes place so he believes this will put his writing career back on top. After finding a box in the attic of his new house filled with old super 8 movies and an old projector, his life is turned upside down from a series of creepy supernatural events.

The word sinister is an adjective and is defined as "threatening or portending harm or evil."  I can say that there is plenty of that in this movie. I actually found myself jumping at a few scenes which is definitely a rare occurrence these days especially with the "horror" movies coming out now.  Another aspect of this film I liked was that it didn't take an hour for the story to get going (for example The Possession), it pretty much started within the first frame.  It has a steady eerie flow which I believe will and does keep the audience interested.  Ethan Hawke, who I consider a fine actor, portrayed his tortured novelist character in awesome form with just the right amount of intensity, which in regard to Sinister, a great amount was needed.  This is a solid horror movie in my opinion.  I mean, don't get me wrong, this film should not scare the complete bejeeses out of you, but it is enjoyable nonetheless.  Just keep the sinister feelings you may be experiencing after watching the movie to yourself.

Thank you and see you at the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment