Sunday, February 12, 2012

Being Human (The UK Version) - Seasons 1 - 3



4 BIG DAMN STARS

I have yet to use the expression diamond in the rough but in this case, it isn't only needed but extremely necessary.  I have to say I am loving this resurgence of the horror/supernatural television series.  In the past there was The Twilight Zone, Dark Shadows, and more recent, the incredibly amazing The X-Files.  Some people considered Buffy and Angel in there.  I never really became enthralled in those shows but the episodes here and there I saw, they seemed a little goofy to me.  Now, we have Fringe, The Vampire Diaries (a little campy at times but I enjoy it), American Horror Story (which I have not seen yet but looking forward to it), and of course the awesome True Blood

I of course first came across the US version of Being Human on Netflix just a short time ago.  The storyline was intriguing to me so I watched Season 1 and enjoyed it.  I like the actors and the characters, some surprisingly awesome special effects, and some creepy scenes, especially towards the end of the season.  Then, some friends told me to watch the original version from the UK that airs on BBC.  Well, let me tell you people, even though I enjoyed the US version very much, I have to say the UK wins in this match up. 

Being Human is the story of Mitchell, George, and Annie, three twenty-somethings sharing a flat in Bristol.  However, these are not your ordinary roommates.  Mitchell is a vampire, George is a werewolf, and the awesome Annie is a ghost.  These three genuine souls work their collective asses off to just live in the world and be human.  Well, of course to produce an interesting drama series, that would just be plain boring, and boring this show is not.  Mitchell, the smoldering, yet tortured century old vampire. George, the loveable, optimistic teddy bear who, for one night a month is a ferocious werewolf.  Of course there is Annie, the naive ghost who, even though she is dead, still wants the world to be magical and happy place.  The main word for these three is genuine.  They share their lives together and because their lives are so difficult to live (living being the operitive word), they forge a bond I haven't seen between characters in years.  The casting is phenomenally good  and I love the addition of the cute as a button (but do not make the mistake and underestimate her) Nina.  These actors, of course unknown to US audiences, are so good in every episode, whether they are being comedic (and there are many of those moments), scared, or sad.  I mean hell, during many of the episodes, I felt their emotions.  The show is also very dark, sinister, and no holds barred creepy which I find to be great entertainment.  Of course, the BBC gets away with a lot more adult content than the SyFy channel where the US version is aired, and this is definitely an adult show.

Now, I am reviewing seasons 1-3 because even though the season 4 premiere is a week away, I have read ahead that there are a lot of changes in store for the show and I want to let as many people know about the first 22 episodes as possible.  Without giving too much away, when you are watching this show and start to get closer to the season 3 finale, KEEP WATCHING!  It builds to such a triumphant and dramatic climax, I was literally looking at the screen speechless which is why I waited til the next night to write this.  I will tell you though, grab the Kleenex because Mitchell, George, Annie, and Nina share a scene in the season finale that is so unbelievably emotional, even a blood sucker would weep.  But the acting chops on these young stars in the making soared in that heart wrenching scene, and throughout the rest of the series.  So, with all that in mind, cozy up under a blanket with a bowl of popcorn and check out Being Human  because missing this wonderful series would be, well, inhuman.

Thank you and see you at the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment