Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Insidious




3 1/2 STARS

Insidious was released on April 1st and was written by Leigh Wannell, who also wrote and starred in Saw 1 (he was the guy chained up with Cary Elwes in the bathroom) and Saw 3. I have to say, a very interesting movie. At first, it starts out as just another damn haunted house movie. The storyline soon makes a turn from just another haunted house movie to something completely new. As it says on the movie poster, "It's not the house that's haunted."

Patrick Wilson (Hard Candy, The A-Team) and Rose Byrne (Damages) play a young married couple with 3 children and they have just moved into a new house. The house is of course, large, ominous and everything creaks. Tragedy suddenly strikes the family when the middle son, Dalton, falls into a coma. That is when the shit hits the fan.

The images in the movie are genuinely creepy. There were even a couple of times, if I weren't looking close enough, I would have missed it which I enjoyed. I like it when the movie people make the creepiness just subtle enough. However, the movie then goes out into this other realm (literally) and the direction it goes in is certainly hit or miss. A co-worker of mine told me he thought most of the movie was great but the last 20 minutes was ridiculous.  I think ridiculous is harsh, they just did something new and for me, it worked.  Some of it towards the end did seem a little too house of horrors at a small town carnival for my taste. But the very end of the movie was done in great horror fashion.  My movie date certainly had the heeby geebies at times, even saying when the haunting beginning credits rolled, "Thats that bullshit."

No comments:

Post a Comment