Friday, April 22, 2011

Unstoppable


4 STARS

**I know this movie was released a while ago and is already on DVD but I am just now seeing it for the first time.  Many movies I will be reviewing on this blog are movies that are no longer in theaters since I do not get to the theater as much as I like. However, I am sure many people have not seen this movie yet and may want to read about it. Also, this blog is not only an entertainment information tool but is also a creative outlet for myself. As I have written before, I love writing about movies and this is a great way to do it. So, along with new releases, I will also review movies that are already out on DVD.**

I say welcome back to the non-CGI laden good old fashion action movie!  Unstoppable was released in November of 2010 and stars Denzel Washington and Chris Pine and is directed by Tony Scott.  Tony Scott is the director behind some of greatest (in my opinion) action movies and dramas of our time.  He was behind the camera for movies like Top Gun, Days of Thunder, True Romance, and Enemy of the State. Scott and Denzel Washington have worked together before on what has to be one of the best movies of the 21st century so far (and I know many people who would agree with me), Man on Fire.

When the movie first begins, I am already surprised to find out that it is based on true events.  I honestly had no idea of that.  I was always under the impression that this was some kind of terrorism movie.  That it is not.  The story is actually pretty simple but executed in an awesome way. A freight train carrying hazardous chemicals with no conductor or engineer gets away from a fool of a train employee and is speeding toward a heavily populated area in southern Pennsylvania.  Folks, I can tell you after just watching this movie, the suspense is there, the action is there.

Denzel gives yet another great performance as a near-retired train engineer. Lets face it, the man can do no wrong.  He could stand on a sidewalk and spit and fart and people would buy tickets, may even win a third Oscar. Chris Pine is definitely well on his way.  I have to admit, I didn't even know who he was til his Oscar-worthy performance in Star Trek (Yes, I wrote that. Really watch the movie people. His performance was excellent!). When I got home from the theater from that movie, I researched him immediately online and have now watched some of his earlier work.  He's developed an ability of being calm and lighthearted one minute then jumping to disaster, "we have to save everyone" mode without missing a beat.

The dialogue is also worth mentioning. Mark Bomback's script keeps these disasters believable, without all the flare or flash.  It is very reminiscent of another one of his screeplays, Live Free or Die Hard. Believable American heroes, great story, awesome action scenes with out all the green screens. I say, keep 'em comin.

Thank you and see you at the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment